About Martin Lubricants
Dedicated To Producing Quality Lubricants At
Martin Lubricants grew out of a refining business started in Smackover, Arkansas, in 1923: Cross Oil Refining & Marketing, Inc. (Cross Oil). In the mid-1990s, Cross Oil decided to expand into the blending and packaging business as a way to consume some of its refinery’s base oil production. In 2000, to expand its blending and packaging business, Cross Oil acquired the assets of the Gard™ Corporation, a producer of industrial-grade lubricants. To complement the Gard industrial-grade lubricants, the Xtreme™ line of lubricants was developed to meet the needs of transport and off-road users.
In 2006, Cross Oil was acquired by Martin Resource Management Corporation (MRMC), who was a supplier of crude oil to Cross Oil for many years. In 2012, the blending and packaging business of Cross Oil was acquired by Martin Operating Partnership L.P. (MOP), a wholly-owned subsidiary of Martin Midstream Partners L.P. (NASDAQ: MMLP), who now operates the business under the name Martin Lubricants. In 2013, MOP acquired the assets of NL Grease, LLC, a Kansas City, Missouri, based grease manufacturer specializing in private-label packaging of commercial and industrial greases.
Today, Martin Lubricants operates two complete blending and packaging plants, one in Smackover, Arkansas, and one in the Kansas City area. The company supplies bulk lubricants and packaged goods for automotive, industrial and commercial-grade use via the following brands:
- Gard™ – Gard™ is our complete industrial line of lubricants.
- SynGard™ – SynGard™ is our 100% synthetic line of lubricants.
- Xtreme™ – Xtreme™ is our line of agriculture, commercial, and off-highway lubricants.
Martin Lubricants also packages private label products for major oil companies, farm store chains, dollar stores, and auto parts wholesalers, and also exports finished lubricants worldwide.
Martin Lubricants Facilities
- 235,000 sq. ft. facility
- More than 5,000,000 gallons of bulk storage feeding the packaging plant
- Base oils supplied by Chevron, Philips 66, Paulsboro, Safety Kleen, and Cross Oil
- Additives chemistry supplied by Afton, Chevron Oronite, Infineum
- 8 high-speed packaging lines featuring two pails lines producing 15,000 units per shift
- Packaging size ranges from 2.6 oz. to bulk tankers/rail cars
- On-site plastics production producing all major plastic containers for packaging production unit
- ISO Quality Management 9001:2015
- Follow NIST Guidelines for weights and measures
- Fully equipped production lab supported by complete commercial lab for validation and release of finished goods
- 75,000 sq. ft. grease facility in Kansas City, Missouri, that produces high performance grease products in bulk, drums, kegs, pails, cartridges, and 1 pound tubs. The grease facility staff has more than 90 years of combined production and research and development experience and can custom blend products to differentiate from other products on the market. The grease facility also delivers a range of grease thickener formulations including Lithium, Lithium Complex, Calcium Sulfonate, Calcium, Calcium Complex, Polyurea, and specialty thickener blends.
- 60000 sq. ft. grease facility in Houston, Texas, that produces high performance grease products in custom package styles. The grease facility staff has more than 120 years of combined production and research and development experience and can custom blend products to differentiate from other products on the market. Easy access to I-10 and the Port of Houston. The grease facility also delivers a range of grease thickener formulations that are specifically tailored for customers product needs with a focus on Oil and Gas, Marine, and Construction.
Martin Lubricants is active in the lubricant industry and its related associations. Martin Lubricants is a proud and active member of the following organizations:
- American Fuel & Petrochemical Manufacturers (AFPM)
- American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM)
- Arkansas Chamber of Commerce, Petroleum Packaging Conference (PPC)
- Arkansas State Chamber of Commerce
- El Dorado Chamber of Commerce
- Independent Lubricant Manufacturers Association (ILMA)
- Kilgore Chamber of Commerce
- Longview Chamber of Commerce
- National Lubricating Grease Institute (NLGI)
- Smackover Chamber of Commerce
- Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE)
- Society of Tribologist and Lubrication Engineers (STLE)